Chicken Parmigiana is a classic Italian dish and my family always looks forward to this meal!
The ingredients are simple, but I won’t lie, it’s not a quick-put-together. There are multiple steps in preparing the simple ingredients, but the results are delicious! Plan ahead to allow enough time for prep, so you’re not desperately hungry or feeling hurried to get dinner on the table. I’ll help you out by giving you prep steps in the directions.
My family tells me they are always disappointed when they select Chicken Parmigiana at a restaurant. Not that it’s a bad choice, but it just doesn’t measure up to this recipe.
Not gonna lie, this is not a quick-put-together dish. But the end results are elegant, classy and oh so delicious!
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs or panko
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 chicken breasts cut in half and pounded thin
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp oregano or italian seasoning
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- Mozzarella cheese shredded or sliced
- Parmesan cheese shredded or grated
- parsley for garnishing
- oil for frying
- Combine parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs in a shallow dish and set aside. Beat egg in a shallow dish, and set aside. Put flour in a shallow dish or plate. Chop onion. Heat the oven to 375°F. Grease a baking dish, to accommodate the meat without crowding. Cover the bottom of a cast iron pan or skillet with oil and heat for frying.
- Pat the chicken pieces dry with a paper towel, then coat the chicken with flour. Once coated, dip it in the egg mixture and finally the breadcrumb mixture until evenly coated. Once the oil is heated, carefully place each cutlet into the hot oil. Cook until browned, then carefully turn to brown the other side. Once browned, remove from the skillet and place in the greased baking dish. Top each cutlet with mozzarella cheese.
- Sauté onion in a slight amount of oil. When softened, add garlic, salt, pepper and seasoning. Add tomato sauce and heat through. Spoon the tomato mixture over the cheese on each cutlet. Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.