Did you know there are about 2,500 varieties of apples grown in the United States? Flavorful and full of fiber and other nutrients, apples are good for you. It has been said that “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”, and while that’s not always the case, we know eating fresh foods contributes to good health. Apples are great for fresh eating and make great snacks. There is no end to the way we enjoy apples: in salads, cider, applesauce and baked goods.
Apple pie is considered an All-American dessert, “As American as Apple Pie,” so the saying goes. While adding butter and sugar to apples doesn’t serve as well to contribute to our physical health, it can go a long way in feeding our soul! Whether it’s a classic double crusted apple pie or a streusel topped apple pie, apple pie is hard to beat.
This recipe for Apple Streusel Squares combines apple pie and a bar cookie all in one. It looks more like a dainty dessert…perfect for a dessert tray. It packs well and is delicious.
Granny Smith is a great variety for baking year-round. They keep their shape and aren’t too watery. You may have other baking varieties that work just as well. Never know till you try…and I do hope you try this recipe.
Apple Streusel Bars
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 2 apples granny smith
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cold butter cubed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x9” pan with parchment paper to create a sling.
- Make the crust: stir the melted butter and vanilla together. Add the sugar, salt and flour and mix until everything comes together. Press into prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling and streusel topping: Peel, core and cut apples into 1/4” thick slices. Whisk flour, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg together. Sprinkle over apples and stir until apples are evenly coated.
- For the Streusel topping whisk the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and flour together. Cut in the cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- When the crust comes out of the oven arrange apples over the hot crust, packing firmly. Sprinkle streusel topping over the apples then bake 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool for 20 minutes at room temperature then refrigerate for at least two hours. Once chilled use the parchment sling to lift out of the pan. Cut into 16 squares or 20 rectangular bars.